You are currently on the:CMHA National
Visit our provincial websites
Thank you for your interest in volunteering!
We are always searching for skilled and enthusiastic volunteers! Individuals who get involved with CMHA play a crucial role in our organization and in enhancing the well-being of our community.
Your support helps us improve the lives of people living with mental health and/or addiction challenges and we truly appreciate the dedication and initiative of those who unselfishly contribute their time and energy.
CMHA screens and places volunteers on an on-going basis to work in various teams and programs at our office locations. These opportunities include:
- Friendly Visitor
- Peer Supporter
- Program Assistant
- Event Organizer
- Supportive Counsellor
Key Volunteer Responsibilities
- Ability to work within a multidisciplinary team as well as independently in an environment that values diversity
- Assist clients with the development of social skills and with activities such as: daily living (shopping, cooking, laundry, cleaning), vocational activities, finding housing, social recreation, use of computer, etc., according to the client’s needs
- Adhere to policies and procedures and ensure confidentiality at all times
- Ability to take direction and feedback as required
- Ability to demonstrate a non-homophobic and anti-racism approach
Qualifications and Skills Required
- Experience in community mental health, professional or personal knowledge of the mental health system, or a willingness to learn
- Educational background, work experience or prior volunteer experience in mental health, social services or a related field
- Excellent communication, listening, and interpersonal skills
- 20 years of age or older
- Enjoy working with others, able and willing to teach any of the following independent living skills: budgeting, shopping, resume writing, use of public transportation, cooking etc.
- Lived experience / contact with mental health system is a requirement for Peer Supporter
- Appropriate certification and licensing to practice in Ontario is a requirement for Support Counsellors
Volunteer Application Form
Please fill in and submit a Volunteer Application Form. You will be contacted by our Volunteer Coordinator shortly.